The project intervention involves the reconstruction of a rural court composed of several buildings, which are still used today for agricultural purposes. The project for the different buildings was based on the following principles:

Building A: the Casa Padronale (old country house)

The eighteenth-century building already appears in Boccabadati's papers in 1687, and according to Carandini's papers written from 1821 to 1828 it presents elegant bossed "pilasters" in the main front. The morphology of the building consists of a central loggia at full depth of the structure (north/south) from which, through the round-arched entrance door, you have access to the various rooms placed orthogonally to the loggia itself. The approach for the new residential building aims at an "updated interpretation" of the traditional elements, together with the creation of a building that in the collective memory preserves the same dualism (aesthetic and formal elements) of the previous one. The use of construction materials is definitely up-to-date and in compliance with the rules imposed today for the new buildings, which go from anti-seismic to energy regulations.

Building B – The deposit, the garage for agricultural vehicles and the farm services - The dovecote tower

The building consisted of a "polymorphic" body, on two levels above ground and with an attached dovecote tower, which has completely collapsed; only the photographic documentation of different periods testifies its existence. This building originally had a further part to the north-south side, which was completely destroyed by a fire in 1960 and was never rebuilt. As for the Casa Padronale, also for this building the design approach aims at an "updated interpretation" of the traditional elements.

Building C - D – The garage and deposit of agricultural vehicles and the rural house

The C-D building is a single structural unit where the part (C) used as a garage and deposit and the part (D) destined to the rural house are located. The building consisted of a body with a regular and rectangular shape, on two levels above ground. Building C is used as a garage for agricultural vehicles and a storage for agricultural equipment, and is being rebuilt on the original soil of the collapsed building. The building to be rebuilt is composed of a body with a regular and rectangular shape with north-south direction: the first part at the first level above ground and the second part at the second level above ground. The C-D complex completes the part that was once used as a small rural house, which developed on two levels connected by an independent staircase separated from the one serving the rest of the building. This complex is completed by other rural production spaces: the ground floor will be used as the company office where to keep the documents and the first aid equipment, while the first floor will be used as a storage for the pruning materials and equipments.

Project Synthesis

Year: 2014

Place: Medolla (MO)

Customer: privato